Listed below you will find instructions to follow after your biopsy procedure.
Biopsy Instructions of lips, tongue, mouth etc.
- Keep incision area clean.
- Keep gauze in place until bleeding has stopped.
- If excess bleeding should occur, apply pressure to the area with a piece of gauze until it stops. If it continues, call the office.
- Caution should be taken when eating:
- Only liquids until numbness is gone, then regular diet
- Be careful of sharp foods such as chips, pretzels, popcorn, cookies etc.
- Cold foods such as ice cream, popsicles, etc., will soothe the area
- Rinse often, especially after eating, with warm water or mouth wash diluted in half with water
- Almost all sutures or stitches used dissolve by themselves and small pieces will come out
approximately 4-6 days following surgery. This is to be expected. If they must be removed,
an appointment will be made for you.
- An ointment may be applied if the doctor indicates it.
IMPORTANT: If you are a woman of childbearing age and are taking oral contraceptives, and are prescribed a multiple day regimen of antibiotic may decrease the effectiveness of your oral contraceptive. A second method of birth control is advisable.
It is our desire that your recovery be as smooth and pleasant as possible. Following these instructions will assist you, but if you have questions about your progress, please call the office 206-624-0852. We are happy to schedule a post-op visit if needed.